Sunday, September 2, 2012

The next few months will be a roller coaster ride as the technology giants Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and many other players pit against each other to release their newest and best product for the holiday season.

Holiday season? Hari Raya and Deepavali ah? Of course not, I am talking about Christmas in December.

Timing the product launch is such an important decision to make and many companies would rather launch an imperfect product than miss the time. Thus we can see that technology companies are lining up their media event in the month of september and october in order to build up buzz and market their products just in time when people are thinking of what to get for their loved ones. 

I am definitely looking forward to iPhone 5 and iPad mini from Apple!

On another note, Microsoft evangelists came to our CS3216 class this week to talk about their new products, Windows phone, Windows 8, Microsoft desktop kinet and the slate tablet.

Some aspects of the technology are pretty cool such as the rotating tiles on the desktop and the slate tablet's keyboard, however I must say I am not really blown away. I know many people in my class were extremely excited about the upcoming products and I would expect some to be the first in line to get them. For me, I am still going to stick to my trusty iOS at least until I get my hands on one to try it out.

Lets get back to what I was talking about earlier, market timing. As a business student whom specializes in marketing, this week onwards is the time for me to go wild with the facebook application assignment. My job from today onwards would be to acquire as much users as possible for Eureka and seek feedback for us to iterate. Fortunately for me, Teacher's Day in Singapore is this coming friday and I see this as an excellent opportunity to push out our social learning application to all students in Singapore. Thus to ensure we deliver something useful, our team managed to alpha launch the application on sunday to test it out with users and fix as much as we could before we try to market it on friday.

Till then!






1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that your team is actually getting user feedback! I was starting to feel like an old hag nagging and nagging everyone to please get other people to look at their apps and get the UX done right. :D

    Important thing is that you must not be around when people are using your apps, because FB apps are such that people must know instantly how to use them and not have to refer to a manual, Google, or ask a developer. Pay attention to their comments and where they get stuck. That's how you get to a good UX. :)

    ReplyDelete